One of the best ways to protect your property, for example, your home, is by installing a new fence. It enables you to create an extension of your home. That’s by enclosing your yard. It lets you have privacy and security from passersby and burglars. You may choose to install your new fence by yourself. The reason could be you want to cut costs.
However, you may end up spending more in the long run or face fines. That’s as a result of not following building codes and failure to know which permits you need. The best way is by hiring a fence company. These companies have professional employees who have skills in installation.
You also have a choice when hiring them. That’s because the best fence companies have websites. These sites enable you to check their previous experiences with clients. Before you hire them, you need to know how to prepare for the installation. This post gives you 8 ways to prepare for a new fence installation.
Know Your Property Line
- One way to prepare for a new fence installation is by marking your property. As a homeowner, you may be tempted to adjust estimates on where your property edges are. Ignoring where your property boundaries are in the local council map could land you in trouble.
- Keep in mind that they can instruct you to demolish your fence just for extending your property by 2 inches. The best way is by hiring a fence company.
- The best fence companies will ensure that they know where to install your fence. That’s by checking out your local building codes. The costs of these processes will be in their quotes.
Consult With Your Neighbors
- You need to consult with your neighbors, for example, if you share a boundary. Your neighborhood’s rules may also stipulate fences should be of a particular design and size.
- Most neighborhoods also have associations. As you prepare for your new fence installation, ensure you follow their rules.
- One way is by building one that matches the building codes and encloses your entire property. You should then build an inner fence that surrounds your pool or house for privacy if you want.
- Preparing for a new fence installation also involves choosing the type of materials to use in construction. For instance, you may prefer an aluminum fence or a wood fence.
- Remember that particular neighborhoods have different fence preferences. It also enables you to plan your budget depending on the types of material you are using.
- Obstacles make even the best fence companies have difficulties when constructing one. They include tree stumps, large rocks and also hanging branches.
- You also need to check for slopes. That’s because these factors increase your budget, for example, fence panels.
- One tip is to consider constructing an aluminum fence in the case of slopes. The reason is you can adjust the number of panels in the ground. That allows you to use the extra ones on hill slopes.
Create a Checklist
You need to create checklists. That will enable you to have all the materials and tools you need to use in the new fence installation. You also need to have extra funds, for example, 15% of the total budget. That’s as a result of other emergencies arising as the construction starts. These emergencies could be you deciding to have particular designs that suit your tastes.
Check Utility Installations
- As you prepare for the new fence installation, you also need to ensure that you don’t destroy utility facilities. They include sewage lines and water pipes.
- You don’t want disputes with your neighbors for disrupting water supply or bursting sewer pipes as you put up your new fence.
- One benefit of hiring the best fence companies is that they carry out inspections before starting installation works.
- When preparing to install your new fence, you should remember that different building materials come with various maintenance costs. For instance, if you choose a wood fence, you will bring a natural look to your home.
- However, you will need to maintain it on a regular basis. That’s because a wood fence needs to get applied with moisture sealant regularly. That prevent rotting or warping.
- A wood fence also needs stain. That enables it to have a natural look or appear different from others.
- An aluminum fence, on the other hand, gives your fence an elegant look. It also lasts long and is rust resistant. It’s also cost friendly, enabling you to cater for other pressing needs.
Choosing the Fence Company
- Another tip when preparing to put up a new fence is by knowing how to choose the best fence companies. Select those that offer written estimates after completing physical inspections.
- You should also consider those with physical addresses within your locality. Another way to find the best companies is by reading online client reviews on their websites.
- By following these processes, you will be able to hire a fence company that suits your needs.
Preparing for a new fence installation should be easier using the above guide. Check your budget estimates and read online reviews of the best fence companies. Remember to follow building codes to avoid unnecessary disputes with neighbors.